Domain Controller – Free Active Directory Server
A Samba4-based Active Directory-compatible domain controller that supports printing services and centralized Netlogon authentication for Windows systems, without requiring Windows Server. Since 1992, Samba has provided a secure and stable free software re-implementation of standard Windows services and protocols (SMB/CIFS).
Run From Browser
This appliance includes all the standard features in TurnKey Core, and on top of that:
- SSL support out of the box.
- Webmin modules for configuring Samba.
- Domain controller (Samba) configurations:
- Preconfigured NetBIOS name: PDC
- Sets domain/realm names on first boot
- Created administrator account is pre-set as Domain User/Admin
- Domain Admins have full permissions on the domain.
- Default permissions: owner full permissions.
- Configured plug-and-play printing support:
- Installed PDF printer (drops printed docs to $HOME/PDF).
- Configured cups web interface to bind to all interfaces and support SSL.
- Includes flip to convert text file endings between UNIX and DOS formats.
- Includes TurnKey web control panel (convenience).
- See the Domain Controller documentation for limitations and requirements.
Usage details & Logging in for Administration
No default passwords: For security reasons there are no default passwords. All passwords are set at system initializationtime.
Ignore SSL browser warning: browsers don’t like self-signed SSL certificates, but this is the only kind that can be generated automatically without paying a commercial Certificate Authority.
Username for samba:
Login as username administrator
Web – point your browser at either:
- http://22.214.171.1249/ – not encrypted so no browser warning
- https://126.96.36.1999/ – encrypted with self-signed SSL certificate
Username for database administration:
Login as MySQL username root at
- https://188.8.131.529:12322/ – Adminer database management web app
- MySQL command line tool:
$ mysql --user root --password Enter password: Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g. Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement. mysql>
Username for OS system administration:
Login as root except on AWS marketplace which uses username admin.
- Point your browser to:
- Login with SSH client:
Special case for AWS marketplace:
* Replace 184.108.40.2069 with a valid IP or hostname.